Date/Time08/30/2020 - 09/01/2020 All Day
LocationAssateague Island National Seashore
Camping fears put to rest! Sunday night camping at the beach. In preparation for the upcoming backpacking trip, learn how to pack and camp overnight completely outdoors.
Rain or Shine.
Camping in Assateague is
$50 per person for Members
$70 per person for Non-Members
for 2 nights. What does the cost cover?
- Registration Fee
No refunds will be issued.
(Note: Refunds are ONLY issued if 1) Park Services cancels the event or 2) the trip is re-scheduled.)
Directions: Follow US Route 50 east to MD Route 611 south. Proceed over Verrazano Bridge. Take first right onto BayBerry Drive. Continue 2.25 miles to entrance station. Pay entrance fee. Take first right to ranger station to register and check in.
NOTE regarding the Directions. The GPS will state to take a right on Bay Drive. You actually need to make a left on Assateague Road. (It is the same road, however one direction is Bay Drive, the other direction is Assateague). Then follow the signs. Stay on Assateague Road until you can only make a left or right turn. Make a right. Then keep straight. Proceed over the bridge. Continue with the directions above.
Weather: Follow the Marine Forecast
Things to Do :
- Hike – There are (2) nearby trails to choose from and (1) further out trail
- Play Games – Karaoke, cards, board games, beach volleyball
- Eat and Be Merry
What to Bring: Tent, camping gear, bring longer-than-normal tent stakes, bug spray, food, water
Important to Know: There is a $25 vehicle fee that is due upon entrance into the park unless you have a pass. Please bring extra cash to cover this fee.
Assateague Island’s Arrival Checklist:
- Campers must check in at Ranger Station upon arrival.
- Late arrivals must check in or call before 9 a.m. the next morning.
- Wild horses roam free on the island; all food must be stored inside a latchable hard-sided cooler or inside your vehicle.
- Extreme mosquito/biting insect conditions; bring insect repellent with deet
- A $25.00 entrance fee is required in addition to camping fees.
- Long tent stakes recommended.
- Don’t Move Firewood: Help protect our forests! Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. Moving firewood is illegal in some states.
Bookings are closed for this event.